Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Being a "Lady" is DOPE!!!!!!

So, yesterday was mommy/daughter day for me and my 19 year old. Between work, school and her social life our one on one time is rare, yet still important, so we make it happen whenever we can! Anyway, as we sat there chatting and my baby is catching me up on everything that's been going on in her life, the strangest thing started to happen. I started to "see" her. (stay with me I'm going somewhere, lol) Okay, you remember the movie Avatar right? (I know good and well ALL of ya'll said YES!!) Well, remember the part where Zoe Saldana's character, Neytiri, told her love interest, Jake, "I see you"?? Well, THAT's what I'm talking about. Like I wasn't just listening to her words or looking at her face. For the first time, I was really "seeing" her. I noticed the fact that she speaks with her eyes, just like me and her smile lights up a room. I paid attention to how clearly she articulates her thoughts and feelings, with sincerity, honesty and conviction. I realized her body language exuded the confidence that she fought all of her life to obtain and the strength she'd gained in the process. Her voice inflection and words breathed both kindness and passion. I also saw the potential of the BEAST she'd involuntarily inherited from both her father and I. Although tamed by the power of awareness, still ever so present. I could go on and on, but my point is, yesterday I could see the strong foundation of a beautifully intelligent young lady. Not a hoe or a trick, not a b*^ch, video vixen, hot girl or a THOT. On the contrary, my baby girl has become an exquisitely DOPE young WOMAN!!!!!!

I can already hear the voices out there, "Well why does she seem surprised???" To be honest, I am sincerely grateful!! Just in case you haven't been paying attention for the last 20 years, allow me to catch you up. In our current society, being a "Lady" has seemingly become obsolete!!! It seems to be some type of farce to this generation to carry yourself in a manner deserving of the respect and honor. When I was growing up the caliber of women that I had to look up to was so very different from the examples our babies have now. Now let me clarify MY perception of what a Lady is, so there's no confusion on what I mean. To me a Lady is graceful and poised, elegant and classy. She is both compassionate and kind, yet strong and no nonsense. She carries herself with dignity and gives others the respect she expects to receive. She fears God and Loves His people. She prays and she serves Church and community. She Loves her family unconditionally and she protects them by any means necessary. She is quiet and observant. When she enters the room, her very presence commands the attention of all.

This description may sound like a fairy tale to some, but for me I see this woman vividly! I call THIS woman Mommy, Auntie, Sister, Cousin, Teacher, First Lady. From the women in my family, to the teachers in my elementary school (who by the way were all over the age of 40 back then), even to the women I admired on television and in music and the movies (Phylicia Rashad, Cicely Tyson, Diahann Caroll, Lena Horne, etc.). When I was growing up, there were examples of women all around me as a reminder that "Being a Lady" is DOPE!!! They were a constant reminder that you can be sexy, without being naked. You speak, before you've said a word. You can be flirty, without being trashy. You can be soft and not be a doormat. You can be sassy and stand on what you believe, without being rude and condescending. They taught me to know my worth, know who I am, to never compromise my values and morals. They taught me to stand for something or I'll fall for anything. They taught me to be a forever student and continue learning life's lessons and teaching what I learn. They taught me to own my past with pride because every experience creates the woman I am to Become. They taught me Self Love, Self Care, Self Acceptance and Self Confidence. They taught me that the truth will always out live a lie and to hold my head up high, NO MATTER WHAT!!

So to mommy, auntie, sisters, cousins, teachers and even actresses I want to say THANK YOU!! Thank you for carrying yourselves in a manner that constantly and consistently exuded characteristics of the woman within. Thank you for giving me the qualities and teaching me the lessons that I can now pass on to my daughters and granddaughters and great granddaughters. Thank you for cultivating all the potential I carry within. And most importantly, thank you for showing me that "Being a Lady" is STILL absolutely, positively, unquestionably and undeniably.... DOPE!!!!!!!

Befriend DOPE Ladies, Raise DOPE Ladies, BECOME DOPE LADIES,

LaShawn Spry
Your Purpose Pusher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!